Vineyard

Vineyard

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Wind burnt

Stuart and I just finished our first couple of days as vineyard workers.  Wow... I have a whole new perspective and more appreciation for people migrant workers.  My whole body is sore.  We spent 3 days cutting bamboo poles, digging them into the group and then clipping them to the wires.  The days start out before the sun comes up when its about 45 degrees outside.  You guys know i am not a cold weather person, you should see how many layers I put on before we leave the hostel. 
I did have to purchase some long underwear and now wear it everyday, so much for fashionista status. 

Working in the vineyard leaves you a lot of time to be alone with your thoughts.  I may need to start reading philosophy on my way to work, just so I can get out of my own head for a while.

The hostel we are staying at is kinda of like living at a frat house, but co-ed and no homework.  They are doing construction outside my bedroom window and there is no Internet. 

We find out on Monday how long our jobs will last.   Then I'll make a plan about what to do next.

I miss everyone at home tons!  I miss girl happy hour and I even miss my cubical (a little). 

Its sometimes great to spend all day outside.  But i do have to remember to wear more sunscreen and lots of chapstick.

I know this is a jumpy post, I may have over caffeinated myself a bit today.  I really want to learn how to make cheese.

Stu and I went wine tasting yesterday, it was great to go and try some of the wines the area is famous for.  It reignited my purpose for being here a little bit.  I'm going to keep trying to get a cellar hand or cellar door position.  I really do want to learn more about wine. 

  cheers and much love sent your way!
Kate

1 comment:

  1. I love getting to check in on you with this blog site. Sounds like you are having lots of new experiences. I am glad you are with Stuart now - its nice to have an old friend amongst all the newness. I miss you so much! Take good care of yourself out there and have fun.

    ReplyDelete